Written for the NA/EU release
Last Updated: 7 October 2009
I have made a first attempt at compiling the common questions and issues people seem to be experiencing when they first set out to install and run Aion. I initially started writing this to help my friends, however I wondered if it might be helpful to others to have everything in one place. The aim for this was to make a general guide for the "common fixes" that have emerged between the first NA/EU Beta Test and today, as opposed to the one-off issues.
I have probably missed a dozen other common installation problems, so please help me check this for accuracy and correct it where need be. In particular, I could use some help from others to describe other known Vista problems, other Gameguard problems, and perhaps the issues with DirectX. Thank you in advance :)
Also I take no credit for finding the solutions mentioned here, this is merely a pull-together of other people's fixes and solutions that have been found to work by others.
Other useful guides to consider:
- For those looking to update their closed beta client to an open beta client, please refer to How to update Aion for Open Beta.
- For those looking for an alternative download method, please refer to How to download and install Aion without problems.
- For those people looking for a CN installation guide, please refer to The Complete CN Aion Getting Started Guide.
- For those people looking for a FAQ guide covering the game itself, please refer to The Ultimate Aion FAQ.
Installation & Troubleshooting FAQ:
1. Where can I download Aion?
There are now two official download methods available, provided by NCSoft:
- The official link to download the game via the NCSoft Launcher can be found --> here.
- NCSoft have made an alternative download available from Fileplanet --> here.
- NCSoft have made another alternative download method available from BitTorrent --> here.
If you are struggling for time or are having issues with the above official methods, you can download the game client using the method described here --> How to download and install Aion without problems.
2. What are the minimum system requirements for Aion?
Check that your system meets the minimum system requirements to run Aion --> here .
3. What should I be seeing if I have installed the game, even when the servers are turned off?
While the servers are closed for the EU and NA regions, you should still be able to run Aion to the point where it displays the login screen. It is a good idea to check that your installation is working and can get you to this point before the servers open for the next Beta.
4. "We are sorry but this account does not currently have access to Aion."
This is the standard message that is displayed if you attempt to login to the servers while they are offline. It is good news if you receive this message, because it means the server recognises your login details. You are basically good to go for the next Beta event if you get to this point.
5. I have a European key but I downloaded the Aion (US) game client.
As stated by Ayase, if you have already installed "Aion (US)" it will work perfectly fine and there is no reason re-download the client even if you are European and/or have access to the EU Beta events. The clients are the same and will work for both. Just make sure that your launcher's regional setting is switched to "Europe" before starting the game if your key is for the EU event, and to "North America" if your key is for the NA event.
If you wish to run the "Repair (consistency check)" function on your Aion (US) installation, while your region setting is Europe, please refer to question 11 below.
6. "The install information could not be downloaded. Please try again in a few minutes."
This appears to happen most often when downloading the game client while set to the EU region. A hot fix is available --> here. Alternately, you can download the Aion (US) client, as stated in question 5 above.
7. The NCSoft Launcher keeps restarting the download, or "Error while downloading file" in the log.
This will happen if the launcher continues to detect errors in the compressed game client download, before it has been uncompressed. To get around this problem, particularly if you have a slow or unreliable internet connection, you can use the method described here --> How to download and install Aion without problems.
This method has also been found to be a working alternative installation method for those who experience ongoing error messages in the NCSoft Launcher log file that indicate "Error while downloading file" for specific files.
8. There is no option showing in the NCSoft Launcher to download Aion.
This appeared to happen in older versions of the NCSoft launcher. The correct version of the launcher can be found --> here.
9. The Aion download finished but nothing happens when I click on "Play Now".
If you are getting no errors at all, but nothing is happening, this is most often due to the file needing to be repaired. In a number of cases people have found that the initial download process only obtains half the required game files. By clicking on the Aion installation and select "Repair (consistency check)" you will obtain any missing game files. Commonly people have reported that the initial download is approximately 5-6Gb, and the repair can obtain anything up to an additional 8-9Gb (in particularly big repairs, some files appear to be duplicated).
10. "AionClient has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
This is the most common error message and appears to display for a number of reasons. The more commonly known are:
- System requirements - Check that your system meets all the minimum system requirements to run Aion.
- Incomplete or damaged installation - Click the Aion installation in the NCSoft launcher and select "Repair (consistency check)" followed by "Check for Updates". If you are unable to properly repair the installation and receive this problem repeatedly, others have suggested to try the alternate installation method described in question 7 above. Also, if you downloaded the Aion (US) game client even though you intend to login to the EU server, you will need to follow the steps in question 11 below in order to run the "Repair" process on your Aion installation.
- Graphics card driver - Obtain the very latest graphics card drivers for your system. If you already have them, uninstall and reinstall the drivers (this may sound silly but has been reported to work in a number of cases).
11. I can't update or repair my Aion (US) installation while I have my region set to "Europe" in the NCSoft Launcher.
This appears to be a common issue for those people who downloaded the Aion (US) client installation and have since put their region on the "Europe" setting in the NCSoft Launcher. In order to fix the problem you will need to follow some simple steps in order to be able to repair or update your installation. Ayase made a post explaining how to do this --> here.
12. "GSvr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
This error often appears when Aion is run for the first time and will not display again until the system has been rebooted. The error relates to Gameguard, and appears to have no effect on running the game. Clicking either "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send" will bypass the error.
13. Error during the download saying there is not enough space.
The minimum space requirements say that you need 15Gb of free space on your hard drive. If you have more than this amount of space and you are still receiving this error, it is commonly due to the file system on your hard drive being FAT32 instead of NTFS. You will need a partition on your hard drive to be formatted to NTFS in order to download the packaged game files.
If you already have an NTFS file format and you are still experiencing this error, some believe this is due to the installation process requiring more than 15Gb of space on a temporary basis while it downloads and unpacks simultaneously. To overcome this, others have recommended to have a minimum of 30Gb of NTFS hard drive space free during the installation process.
14. "Gameguard error : 114"
As stated by NCSoft Technical Support, typically this error appears as a result of a conflict between Gameguard and an installed security application on the PC. It is recommended to consider the following common solutions:
- Windows Vista users must ensure they are running the NCSoft Launcher as the "Administrator".
- Windows XP users must ensure they are logged in with Administrator privileges.
- Windows Vista users should try disabling "User Account Controls". Instructions for how to do this from NCSoft Technical Support can be found --> here.
- Test whether your firewall or antivirus software is causing the issue by temporarily disabling them.
- If you find the issue is your security software, you may need to spend some time working out how to set Gameguard, the NCSoft Launcher and Aion as trusted applications within them. Instructions on what files you need to add as exceptions can be found from NCSoft Technical Support -->here.
- If you are using COMODO Firewall, you may need to set the "Defense+ security level" to "Disabled". Instructions for how to do this can be found -->here. Alternately, some users have found that adding the files "Gameguard.des", "GameMon.des" and "Aion.bin" as trusted processes in the configuration have bypassed this issue.
- Try deleting the entire folder "C:\Program Files\NCSoft\Aion\bin32" then running Aion again. This will force a fresh download of Gameguard.
- Disable all startup items to ensure that no background programs or processes are causing a conflict. Instructions from NCSoft Technical Support can be found -->here.
- If you also play the game "Rappelz", which uses another version of Gameguard, this has reported to conflict directly with the Aion installation of Gameguard (after the Aion Gamguard update released for Closed Beta #3). To turn this off you will need to disable it on startup. Instructions for disabling all start up items can be found here. Using these same instructions, locate process called "nProtect Gameguard" listed on the "services" tab and disable it. This is the Rappelz installation of Gameguard and should be disabled before running Aion.
- Failure to have all the required Microsoft Core Fonts in your system (in particular Ariel and Verdanda) has also been seen to cause this error. To obtain Microsoft Core Fonts, please visit --> here.
- Some users have reported that the security application called "Kaspersky Security Suite" causes a conflict with Gameguard even when it is disabled. So far users have reported that this specific conflict relates to Kaspersky 2010 IS/AV suites. Kaspersky have been made aware of this problem via support tickets, however in the meantime users will be required to either downgrade to Kaspersky 2009 or uninstall the program completely to play Aion.
- GameGuard error 114 can be caused if you are running virtual layering software such as Altiris Virtualization Agent, something that is considered common with HP computers in particular. Uninstalling the software can correct the error, but users are advised to proceed with extreme caution - uninstalling virtual layering software can have severe consequences, including requiring you to reformat your PC and start from scratch (thanks mav123456 for this point).
If none of the above solutions help with Gameguard Error 114, it is recommended that you raise a support ticket with NCSoft Technical Support and/or ask for help in this discussion thread.
15. "Gameguard error: 0"
This error appears to affect Windows 7 users, however not always consistently. Specifically, it has been said that as of Gameguard version 184.108.40.206 pushed through July 1, 2009 (which included an updated GameGuard.des file) the game will work without re-applying any third-party temporary workarounds on 64-bit Windows 7 RC1 (Build 6.1.7100).
If needed, a third-party fix can be found for other Windows 7 64 bit users -->here.
Further information for Windows 7 32 bit users can be found at question 24. below.
16. "Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\NCSoft\Aion\Aion_Main_0.0.0.0To220.127.116.11.ncpa tch' is denied."
This error message has been reported to appear when opening Aion from the NCSoft Launcher. A recent resolution of this problem was found by moving the file in question outside of the Aion installation folder then running the game again. This forced the launcher to redownload the damaged file. A discussion and resolution of this problem can be found -->here.
Note: This process may also work to replace other damaged files generating a similar error message.
17. When I load Aion I get a black screen, the message "out of range", or something similar.
This issue relates to the game loading in a resolution that your graphics card does not support. Instructions from NCSoft Techincal Support for how to correct this problem can be found -->here.
18. "ID or Password does not match."
In addition to checking that you are entering the correct username and password, you will also need to ensure that you have the correct "Region" setting in the NCSoft Launcher before you launched Aion. The EU and NA servers are separate, so your login information will only be properly recognised if the region settings of your launcher "match" the region for your product key.
Before you launch the game, check your regional settings in the NCSoft Launcher by selecting File > Settings > Advanced. Select your appropriate region from the drop down list.
In addition to this, Ayase has reported that some users who downloaded an older version of the game client may have done so before NCSoft applied the finishing touches to the login screen. In this case it will be necessary to do a fresh installation of the game client.
19. Can I install Aion on my Mac?
The answer is yes if you dual boot the system to run Windows. Other users have recommended using Bootcamp to achieve this. You can read more about this in this discussion thread.
NCSoft have released an official announcement saying that they have "no current plans to develop Aion to run on Macintosh computers at this time" (read more -->here).
20. Error code: 58 and Error Code: 57
It appears that these errors occur when there are inconistencies within the installation data, which occur during the NCSoft Launcher download process. Users report that they are unable to download specific "Mesh" files or "Sound" files and the launcher gets "stuck" at this point.
Users should first try attempting to repair their installation by selecting Aion in the NCSoft Launcher and clicking on "Repair (consistency check)". If this fails it is possible to download the individual files causing the glitch in the repair process, however this can be very time consuming.
At this time the most reliable solution to this problem appears to be to download a new copy of Aion from one of the alternate methods available at Fileplanet or via the instructions on this forum --> How to download and install Aion without problems.
21. "The installed version of DirectX is not supported by Aion."
In order to run Aion you will need to ensure you have the correct version of DirectX installed on your computer. The minimum system requirements for Aion require that you have DirectX 9.0c (6/2008) edition. Users have reported that higher versions of DirectX (i.e. verison 10 and 11) have caused issues. Installing the previous version of DirectX was therefore required.
The correct version of DirectX can be found --> here. The redistributable version can be found -->here.
To find out what version of DirectX you currently have installed, select Start > Run, then type in "dxdiag" and click ok. Your installed version will appear at the bottom under "DirectX version".
22. "Gameguard error: 360"
This error indicates that the gameguard modules have failed to be updated due to network issue. This may be a firewall, latency, or issue of another kind (administration rights, system policy, etc) relating to the connection status to Gameguard server itself.
In order to resolve this issue, the following steps are recommended:
- Try deleting the folder "C:\Program Files\NCSoft\Aion (US)\bin32\GameGuard", then run Aion. This will force a fresh download of Gameguard.
- If the above step fails, you will need to make sure that your security software is either properly configured or disabled when launching the game. If the game launches with your security software disabled, then you will need to amend the configuration for them before enabling them again. Instructions on what files you need to add as exceptions can be found from NCSoft Technical Support -->here.
- If you are using a router, you should try connecting to the internet using your cable/dsl modem. If this works, then you will need to open some ports on your router to allow Gameguard to connect to Internet. The following ports should be opened: TCP 2106 and TCP 777. Some routers can also have a list of exceptions for programs; if applicable you should make sure it is properly configured (more information can be found in your router manual).
- In some cases, this error will display because you are not using the very latest version of your graphics card driver. It is therefore recommended to update it.
23. The NCSoft Launcher won't run at all.
In some cases people have reported that the NCSoft launcher does not start. This can be due to a number of common issues, including but not limited to the following:
- Windows Vista users need to run the NCSoft Launcher as the 'administrator'.
- Errors in the download of the launcher itself. It is recommended to uninstall the launcher and reinstall it.
- Failure to have all the required Microsoft Core Fonts in your system (in particular Ariel and Verdanda). To obtain Microsoft Core Fonts, please visit --> here.
24. Windows 7 32 bit users
There is a known problem for some builds of the Windows 7 32 bit operating system. The issue relates to an incompatibility with gameguard and has been seen to cause both Gameguard Error: 0 and Gameguard Error: 114. A "beta" patch was released before closed beta 3 on July 2, 2009 to attempt to correct the issue, however NCSoft have said this file is still in testing and is not yet an official release.
The beta patch has not corrected the problem in all cases, however appears to have corrected the issues for most users. Some users have reported to continue to get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) after starting the game. One known working solution for this problem is as follows:
- Open your "bin32" folder, commonly found at "C:/Program Files/NCSoft/Aion/bin32"
- Rename the file called "GameGuard.des" to "GameGuard.old"
- Extract a new copy of the file called "GameGuard.des" from the archive found --> here.
- Start the NCSoft Launcher.
Further discussion on finding fixes for Windows 7 32 bit users is still ongoing and can be found here. It has also been reported that 'Windows 7 32 Bit Ultimate Build 7229' does not experience issues.
25. "Gameguard Error: 170"
At this time nothing is known about this specific gameguard issue or solution to it. In general, users should refer to the solutions described at question 14 above.
26. "Cannot connect to authentication server" after entering username and password.
Those involved in the previous Alpha and Closed Beta 1 testing phases may experience issues when attempting to authenticate their username and password to the server. This problem has arisen due to changes that were made to the login area since the original game client was made available. In all cases it is recommended to complete a fresh installation of the game client.
27. The installer stopped at 80% complete, should I restart?
Some people have reported that the NCSoft Launcher gets "hung" at approximately 80% complete and doesn't continue the last part of the download. The cause of this problem is unknown, however if this happens to you simply stop and restart the download via the launcher. The download will continue from where it left off, it will not restart at 0%.
28. I have another kind of Gameguard error.
Malais has been kind enough to pull together a thorough list of all the types of Gameguard errors that have emerged since beta testing began. If you can't find a solution to the Gameguard problem you are having from the points in this guide, then I suggest popping across to check -->here.
29. Windows can not find 'NCLauncher.exe=/NCLauncher.exe'
In some rare cases, users have found that the Kaspersky Security Suite may quarantine the NCSoft Launcher or Gameguard without notifying the user that it has done so. In this case it will appear as though the game installation has vanished completely from your computer, even after having played the game previously. Disabling Kaspersky will not correct the problem.
So far users have reported that this specific conflict relates to Kaspersky 2010 IS/AV suites. Kaspersky have been made aware of this problem via support tickets, however in the meantime users will be required to either downgrade to Kaspersky 2009 or uninstall the program completely to continue to play Aion.
30. My game appears to be in Korean! *NEW*
A lot of people have been experiencing this lately, where they are missing a language file which results in the game reverting to korean characters, at least on the interface.
People should first check their NCsoft/Aion/L10N folder and see if you are missing either the "1_enu.pak" or "2_enu.pak" file. If you are missing one of these files you should download the relevant file from the links provided below:
1_enu.pak: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
2_enu.pak: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
(Thanks to Amarinth for posting this one)
31. "This Program is not availabe in your country" *NEW*
Following the update released on 7 October 2009, there appears to be a large number of people getting this error message. I can't offer a 100% solution to this, however the following steps have been found to correct this error for a large number of people:
1. Open your Task Manager.
2. Look for a process called AION.bin and manually terminate the process.
3. Select "Repair (consistency check)" from the Aion menu within the NCSoft Launcher.
4. Wait for the repair process to complete, then launch Aion.
32. How can I help to speed up answers I get from NCSoft Techincal Support?
In most cases, to better assist you with an issue, the first response from NCSoft Technical Support will be to ask you to run their Game Advisor application. This will provide them with helpful information about your system and Internet Connection so they can better understand the problems you are having with Aion. It is therefore recommended that you do the following before you raise a support ticket:
- Download the NCSoft Game Advisor from -->here.
- When prompted, save the file to your desktop so that you can easily access it.
- Double click on the Game Advisor file and then click on the icon for Lineage II (as Aion is not included in this tool yet).
- Click on the "Test Computer and Connection" button and wait a few minutes while the "Test Progress" completes.
- Once the process completes, a "Test Result" will come up.
- This window will provide you with a link to update your ticket as well as tell you where the diagnostic report is saved. You can also view the report file for yourself.
Attach the test result file to your support ticket when you first create it. This will give the NCSoft Technical Support team a better idea of how to resolve your issue and will hopefully save you some time in the support ticket queue.
~~ Still need help? ~~
If you cannot find a solution to your problem within the common fixes described above,
please try raising a support ticket with NCSoft Technical Support,
and try searching these forums for an answer to your installation issue,
and/or ask for help in the Questions and Answers forum (rules & regulations apply).
This post has been edited by Aion Bunny: 07 October 2009 - 08:42 AM