Several popular Aion fansites, technology and gaming blogs, and places we all visit have been under attack lately from hackers. The most recent attempts ranging from the massive tech website TechCrunch, to right here at home on your favorite Aion fansites may have left sensitive data on your PC vulnerable.
AionSource was targeted along with these other sites beginning at 5pm on January 24th and was completely cleared up by 5:20pm. 6 hours later after we cleared the site of the breach, Google flagged AionSource as an "attack site" due to the small window where the breach took place. We appealed and were removed from this "attack site" list shortly after once Google verified we were clear.
We wanted to let everyone know we're doing everything we possibly can to ensure your safety, and the safety of things you hold dear. The reality so far is we do not know the intention or intentions of the persons who have been working so hard to redirect users and exactly what they're tried to install on our PCs. We have made several advancements in our security here at AionSource.com and have beefed up and re-installed plugins and custom code we use.
As we stated, we have since gone through, fully wiped and reinstalled vBulletin, and revamped our security to prevent intrusions like this from happening again. We want to encourage anyone who may have been logged into our site during that time to especially pay attention to the steps below.
Here are some tips on how to best protect yourself from these and other attacks:
- Install a good virus scanner (you can get high quality ones for free, such as Avast or AVG) or alternatively run a free online virus scanner like F-Secure: Free Online Scanner
- Make sure to clear your cache if you think you've been somewhere potentially dangerous, make sure all temporary internet files are removed.
- Use a different login/password for your E-mail, NCSoft Master Account, AionSource and Aion game accounts. If any of your passwords for these 4 services overlap, you are increasing your vulnerability to criminals seeking your personal data.
- On your master account, make sure you have good security questions that only you know the answers of, and that are difficult to guess - otherwise somebody can reset your password quite easily.
- Keep your computer and web browsers updated with the latest security patches, not updating leaves you vulnerable to attack.
Above all, we want to continue to provide a fun and safe community for everyone. These hackers/criminals are attacking high profile sites, but we are unaware if they are specifically targeting Aion accounts or if they have other motives. Please, please do all you can to protect yourself and your information and take the above steps very seriously.
As always, we appreciate your continued support!
To obtain latest security updates:
Internet Explorer: Microsoft Update
Firefox: Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable
Safari on Mac OS X, click on the Apple menu and then Software Update.
Google Chrome: Google Chrome
Opera: Opera browser | Faster & safer internet | Free download
This post has been edited by Chalky: 27 January 2010 - 07:34 AM
Reason for edit: AV clarification